*What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act III
* Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.
David T. Wolf (1943 - )
* The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
* A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)
* My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of the pessimists.
Jean Rostand (1894 - 1977), Journal of a Character, 1931
* Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth.
Lillian Hellman (1905 - 1984), The Little Foxes, 1939
* No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up.
Lily Tomlin (1939 - )
* Cynics regarded everybody as equally corrupt... Idealists regarded everybody as equally corrupt, except themselves.
Robert Anton Wilson (1932-2007)
* A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.
Sidney J. Harris (1917-1986)